Sunday, September 1, 2013

Entry #38


Second Outfit Entry

Samantha’s (real) Bridesmaid Dress
  by Miriam
  
This is the 7th dress I have made for our spoiled doll friends, and I think I answered the question of why I haven’t started selling – (hint - the number of hours spent on this one!)   Glad only 2 outfits are required for this contest or I might never be a productive member of society again!
    As I did for my first entry (#2), I looked through American Girl books for pictures of outfits American Girl never made.  This is Samantha’s bridesmaid dress from “Samantha Saves the Wedding” and the full picture can be found in “Samantha’s Wedding Memories."  After I made this I learned that AG did make Samantha a bridesmaid dress in 2004.  I searched for a picture and it turned out I had seen it before - but AG’s version looked absolutely *nothing* like the picture.  (I give them a “D”!)   Relieved I can say AG never made *this* dress!    Here are the inspiration pictures…



   I did not start with all my materials on hand.  I collected them bit by bit.  I started with a Kona cotton I had in my stash for the main fabric because it was the perfect color.   Next, I chose a white on white cotton stripe for the collar, and white braid.  I found a purple braid for the sleeves at a bridal fabric store.  The hardest thing to find was the flower chain lace for the collar and sleeve edge from ebay.  Her accessories are a big purple hair bow, a lacy petticoat, and a pink bouquet with ribbons.  Samantha will also wear her black mary jane meet shoes, bloomers and her special occasion white tights.

   I actually started with the bouquet!  I had just finished Rebecca’s dress for my 1st entry and I wasn’t ready to start the daunting task of making the pattern and dress just yet.  The bouquet uses a large pom-pom, which I sewed elastic and ribbon to, and glued faux flowers and leaves to.  (I also ended with the bouquet when the first went missing!)


Next, I drew a *very* rough sketch of the pieces I expected I would need to complete the dress to get an idea of what materials I would need.


First fit check



The collar pieces – I could not find pleated trim near me, and I’m impatient so I made my own.


End of day 2



How I imagined her lower sleeves to be made.



Attaching the collar.  Decided good old fashioned hand sewing would be easiest.



Samantha lends a hand with the hand-sewing  (just kidding, she didn’t do didley!)


I decided she needed a petticoat…



Changes for Samantha.
I changed the bottom twice.  I am a perfectionist to a fault!  First two takes…


   I also had to lengthen the petticoat after lengthening the ruffle.
   Last, my daughter helped me make another bouquet to replace the first that went missing!

 Completed Outfit

  Samantha was 9 years old in 1904.  She is being raised by her very proper Victorian grandmother.  While it was 3 years post Victorian era, this is still the prevailing style - at least in her home.  Samantha was excited to be a bridesmaid at her uncle’s wedding.  Samantha wears a dress with lots of ruffles and lace, a large, high neck collar, a puffed upper sleeve, and slim lower sleeve with crossing pin tucks.  She wears a large hair bow.  Samantha also must wear a petticoat, bloomers and tights to be a dressed like a proper young lady.  A bouquet finishes the ensemble.  Samantha must have felt very grown up with such a beautiful and long dress.  (a long dress was a rare treat for a girl Samantha’s age!)
   Samantha was playing dress up with the other girls, when her soon to be aunt Cornelia’s veil was destroyed by Cornelia’s 3 year old sister who thought it would be a good plaything.  Samantha saved the day by having her uncle drive her home in his new-fangled automobile to get her mother’s beautiful old wedding veil so the wedding wouldn’t be spoiled.










The wedding processional.


  What an exciting and exhausting day!  Grandmary will still likely have a fit when she sees Samantha sleeping in her good new dress!


  Hope you enjoyed this post! 
Miriam

Thank you for your entry!

Vote for this outfit via comment on this post or by emailing us 
at nora.demington@gmail.com.

One vote per person.
You can vote for yourself.
You can vote for more than one outfit.
Hence, you can vote for multiple outfits. :-)

Voting for Second Outfits ends September 25th, 2013.


Information about this contest:

First Outfit Tasks Due July 14th, 2013.
Second Outfit Tasks Due August 25th, 2013.

51 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

incredible

Unknown said...

I'm in awe of the patience this must have taken. The attention to detail is amazing.

Shifra Goldstein said...

You are amazing, Mirian! This dress/outfit is beautiful.

N said...

I vote for this. The attention to detail is incredible, and everything about this dress is lovely. Good luck!

Unknown said...

My vote is for Miriam. This is incredibly amazing craftsmanship. The color and details are breathtaking!

Unknown said...

My vote is for Miriam. This is incredibly amazing craftsmanship. The color and details are breathtaking!

Helen said...

Wow You are amazing.. You have so much patience to make those details. Beautiful outfit

Liesel said...

This dress is fabulous! The detail on the sleeves is so intricate, you have more patience than I.

rebeccadzierzon said...

Oh my! Breathtaking! I just love how you did the sleeves and the collar. I would like to vote for this one. I prefer this over the one AG made. Excellent job!

LKaye said...

Outstanding workmanship! Gets my vote hands down! You are very talented and I am envious of your ability. Two thumbs UP!

Christina L said...

This is absolutely amazing!! Those sleeves are gorgeous! Samantha's always been a favorite of mine. :) This gets my vote!

miriam l said...

Thank you everyone! Yep, it seemed to take forever, but I haven't done anything creative in quite a while. It is all my own design, no pattern.

Eliana said...

I love this outfit! Fantastic.

Unknown said...

Oh so gorgeous in every respect!! Love all the minute details! It has my vote!! DGLF

Xyra Silverleaf said...

This is great! I love how you got Samantha involved in the sewing as well. ;-)

Jodi said...

I love how you sourced your design inspiration from the books! Smart! It turned out so beautiful, and very well executed. :)

Unknown said...

Amazing! This is a beautiful dress!

Anonymous said...

Amazing details, love it!

Brenda, from Georgia said...

Perfect Dress! Love the sleeve work and collar. Great storeline.Gets my vote.

L L said...

Wow, turned out beautiful! Like others have said, I like the sleeves with the detailing.

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely beautiful. I loved the detailing on the sleeves and the bouquet. The patience you must have had is amazing and the dress is so intricate with attention to every detail. I vote for this one!!

Leah E. said...

What a georgous dress. I know how much time you put into it. Samantha told (the other dollies) how beautiful she was dressed at the wedding. The sleeves are amazing as well as the amazing work on the collar. It looks as though the trim, the lace, the fabrics all were custom chosen for Samantha. This is a real winner !

Miriam said...

Thanks everyone! and - oh yes - I'd like to vote for this outfit too - one of my favorites in the whole contest. :-)

Karen M. Owen said...

Simply amazing. I am in awe. Such a labor of love! I am very impressed!

Unknown said...

I vote for this! This is adorable and a great representation of an "actual" story dress rather than just an era piece. I love that it matches and tells a full story! Amazing work :)

Unknown said...

This dress is stunning! Your attention to detail is amazing!! I LOVE it!!! Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

Lovely and amazing. You have enormous talent, Miriam.

Unknown said...

Beautiful work - you are so amazingly talented!!!

Bracha said...

Unbelievable!!! You are super talented! Very impressive. ~ :)

Bracha said...

My vote is for Miriam #38 This is unbelievable! You are super talented! Beautiful job! :)

Laya said...

Oh my goodness, what a project. This is a wow of a dress!! All the best!

Jill said...

Very intricate work. Nice color . Very lucky dool.

Karen L. said...

This is truly lovely. The detail and color are wonderful. It must have taken forever to make!

Amanda said...

Pretty, love it! :)

Paula said...

Entry #38 has my vote...Wow! This is spectacular. Such incredible detail. You are very gifted amd extremely talented.

rebeccadzierzon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rebeccadzierzon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Wish AG had made something closer to this! The collar and sleeves are fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Looks great. Love the details. Pretty amazing.

Ann said...

This is what AG should have made!

Anonymous said...

Love this! Voting for this one.

Unknown said...

This is what AG should have made. Its so beautiful! I'm so impressed. I would buy that dress in a heartbeat. You have my vote!

Dawn said...

Lovely! Vote!

Anonymous said...

i vote for this one

rebeccadzierzon said...

Miriam! If you read this, could you contact me? I'm interested in making Samantha's bridesmaid dress and absolutely love your design here. Thanks! My email: rebeccadzierzon@gmail.com

miriam l said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
miriam l said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
miriam l said...

Wow, Rebecca, that's a real compliment! I wrote down your email, so you can delete the previous post if you don't want your email so public. I didn't really make a pattern, but will be happy to try and answer questions.

sibbar said...

Magnificent work!!! Incredible! Beautiful! Thank you for posting. No, these comments are not over the top!

RLC said...

Really incredible piece of work. I am so impressed by your pleating details. I hate pleating things, so always impressed when other's take the time.