Monday, July 29, 2013

Entry #34



2013 Fashion Design Challenge
Entry #34

From RedBug

My original design is inspired by woodland fairies in storybooks. Included in my original idea is a deep purple, plum colored lace long sleeved shirt layered over a solid ruched top of the same color. However, after some difficulty in finding material that matched my original idea, I found a women's shirt at a garage sale that was a similar color. However, it was not lacey, but sequined. It also had a skirt made from leaves, and deep purple velvet flats. As an accessory, I added a wooden bead necklace, similar to the one Kanani had.


After brainstorming about how I would make the leafy skirt, my sister suggested that I use the purple tulle I had. As it turned out, it was a perfect match for the leaves I picked up at the dollar store for this outfit.



To make the skirt, I took a long strip of the tulle and wrapped it around some elastic, and then tied about a dozen strips around the tulle covered elastic to make a tutu.

Then I hot glued leaves to the tulle tutu.




 Since I didn't have the lacey fabric I originally wanted, I had to come up with a new idea for a top. After much considering, I finally decided to use the Liberty Jane T-shirt pattern, and (by my sister's suggestion) added a cowl to the neck, rather than hemming the neckline.


The outfit is nearly complete. However, the tulle is just a bit long compared to how far down the leaves go. After a bit of a trim...


Finished Outfit




These beads may not be exactly like I originally pictured, but when I found these beads at the store, I decided that these were perfect.


I had never made my own doll shoes before that were not sandals. They aren't the purple crushed velvet that I originally wanted, but they work fine for a woodland fairy type outfit.


I also made a skirt to go under the tulle and leaf tutu. This picture also shows the shirt I made with the sequined material.


Voila!




Thank you for your entry!

Vote for this outfit via comment on this post or by emailing us 
at nora.demington@gmail.com.

One vote per person.
You can vote for yourself.
You can vote for more than one outfit.
Hence, you can vote for multiple outfits. :-)



Information about this contest:

First Outfit Tasks Due July 14th, 2013.
Second Outfit Tasks Due August 25th, 2013.



7 comments:

Liesel said...

A Flitterific Fairy. I love the leaves and the color of the top.

Anonymous said...

Voting for this one!

Anonymous said...

This totally gets a vote!

Brenda, from Georgia said...

I vote for this one. Good job on design and presentation.

Xyra Silverleaf said...

A wood fairy! Awesome!

Becca said...

Its very cute and reminds me of the fall! I am a fan of the high shirt collar. You get my vote. =]

rebeccadzierzon said...

I love the originality of this. Nice work!